Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Diamond Mining

We have been blessed to visit several Arkansas State Parks.  The boys were so excited to go to Crater of Diamonds.  It was slightly out of our way but everyone should dig for diamonds, at least once in their life, right? 


We arrived after a rain.  Rain pulls diamonds to the surface.  Well actually it washes away lighter weight sediment.  The diamonds thus rise to the top. We attended a short presentation on how to mine for diamonds. After all, this isn't Minecraft.  We are using real tools. Speaking of which, the park rents every tool you could need for the hunt.  We opted for tweezers, a pocket knife, and small shovels.   Our 1st steps on the field were filled with anticipation and hope.  
Our 2nd steps were filled with muck and mud. Both boys were quickly muddy up to their knees.  E sank into a mud hole and T followed.  I anticipated dirt but this was crazy. I, lover of dirt, was turned off.  The boys may as well rolled around in it.  They were covered.  I hunched over for a while but, as you can imagine, its not a long term option.  I finally gave in, knelt and crawled through the field.  James squatted for a while and then found a shady spot under a lone tree.

Within 2hrs we were all done. What, that's it? Really? 2 weeks of anticipation and build up for 2 hrs of mining.  I mean really 2 hrs. Start to finish.  Yahoo! I don't have to sit around and wait for the kids to get bored. I don't have to coerce them to leave!

There were lots of people, hundreds in fact, mining.  On a cool windy muddy day people sat around sifting mud, digging trenches, and being very patient.  E was the most determined. He had hopes of taking us all to a Dude Ranch and purchasing a laptop.  T tried but the kid really just likes to play in the mud.  James had the spot under the tree and watched. And me, well I have decided there are some things in life I don't understand and diamond mining is one of them.  I don't have the patience or focus for it.  I'm glad I tried it and now I never have to try it again!

In classic Mobley fashion the boys finished up a multi park ranger program called Arkansas State Park Jr Explorer.  They received hats, bandanas, badges, and certificates.  The Ranger was so happy to see someone complete the program that she had us pose for the photo.  I'm glad she did.  It is a little boy scoutish but makes me chuckle.   And now out of Arkansas we go!


2 comments:

T. said...

I see you guys have been enjoying the finer parts of Arkansas! You guys go and have some great adventures! Enjoyed crossing paths with you at HCR. If you're ever back in Little Rock and you want to try out some climbing then give me a shout.

-Taylor Cornelsen

Unknown said...

I'm with Terje. Mud womping is the best.