Thursday, May 10, 2012

A morning in the bus

Wake up, stumble over the recycle bag; why can't I just throw this stuff out? Oh that's right, I care about the Earth. I find the 1ft by 1ft floor space that exists when the bed is made and I reach over the dining rm table to grab a Kleenex from the very front seat floor.  I spin around and fall back to the bed, lift a bag of recycle to the counter, giving me 1ftx2ft floor space. That's just enough to open the clothes cabinet (formerly a fridge). Today my clothes cooperate, they don't fall out when the door opens!

Half asleep I pick out clean clothes.  Honestly, this doesn't happen daily. But my skirt from yesterday wasn't warm enough for the morning temps. The next step and this happens daily, is to stuff my sleeping bag and fold the sheet. A sheet under my bag feels less wanderer and more this is my home. James stuffs his sleeping bag , too. He has been awake for a while so he's dressed and nicely trying to get me into gear. Next comes a familiar routine: I flip the bed back into a rear seat and open all the curtains. He moves the misc stuff, a clothes bag, yoga mat, and daypacks, from the front seats into the back. The kids are "upstairs" sleeping so I take this chance to wash my face and hands with cold water. That requires moving the recycle bag to the floor and opening the sink cabinet. Clean face and hands! Time for contacts and a final breath of calm before getting the boys up. 


Today we've decided to let them sleep in their bags buckled up. I still have to wake them enough to safely move them down. We have about 2 ft to make this happen. Every time I attempt to move my sleeping children I realize HOW much they've grown!  


My breakfast time; cereal with bananas and rice milk. I have to move the recycle bag AGAIN!  It's blocking the kitchen cabinet. I sit in my tiny home and quickly eat my breakfast.  Wipe out the bowls, cereal is easy to wipe out without actually washing. And that is awesome because then I don't have to wash dishes. 


Now topper down, James and I work together because the heavy gear in the topper makes lowering it tricky. Once you start lowering,  it wants to drop hard and fast, potentially hurting us and pinching /ripping the pop top canvas so we use a nalgene bottle to prop it open just a little bit. The purple bottle happens to be the pee bottle. Hope that nalgene really is durable otherwise it will be a nasty smelly mess. Next comes the solar panel, we lower it, clip it in place and we are off.

No comments: