Monday, February 13, 2012

But it isn't Disney! and that's okay!

Our family loves Harry Potter; the magic, the courage, the bravery, the friendship, the hardship, and the triumph. So after apologizing to Walt for skipping over him, we headed to Universal Studios- Islands of Adventures. Below is a brief synopsis of our day from each family member. And here is link to more photos universal pics


T (age 9)- At the Wizarding World of Harry Potter I got a wand.  It’s Harry’s wand and I got to ride a ride into Hogwarts. At the world of Harry Potter I got to drink Pumpkin juice.  I thought I would not like it but I liked it.  I could have a whole bowl of ice cream to myself! Pictures below weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee pure adrenaline weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeweweeeeeeeeeeeeeee we we wee.

E (age 11)- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter was EPIC!! First thing is Universal had moving floors! Second they had great places to take photos, great themed areas, just amazing. One activity was called Posidion's fury, I loved it. And of course the best was Harry Potter world, I GOT A PICTURE WITH DOBBY!!!!!!!!!!!!! The tour of Hogwarts was crazy cool, a little scary though. Dragon Challenge was amazing.  I did lots of loops and drops, you will get really dizzy. I got a wand of the month for August, its a nice wand. We had lunch at the Three Broom Sticks, I got mac and cheese, and a cup of ice-cream, and butter beer (no alcohol), it was delicious. I did a fear lift, even though its called Dr.Dooms Fear Fall. A Spider-man ride in 3D, it was kind of like the Hogwart's ride/tour. 2 water rides, a ride where a pterodactyl flies you around. And there was a cave and jungle play area, I almost sprayed my Mom! And a bunch of other cool stuff. We rode about 10  rides and I could type for 1 day explaining, and there's probably 16 rides in Islands of Adventure, and that's one of 2 parks!! I could be explaining for weeks if I rode every ride in each park!

James- It was nice except for the overall cost. Actually, I really liked it. It was magical, not as magical as Disney, but a very fun time. The boys loved it. They lit up in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.   Dragon Challenge was my favorite ride. I really enjoyed watching them pick out and then buy wands.  It was an important thing for them. The employees played their roles as wizards and witches very well. Wish we could have stayed there longer.

















Anna- While I didn't like Universal as well as Disney, I did have a wonderful time.  Suess Landing was perfectly bizzare with funky landscaping and crazy colors. They went beyond my expectations. I left that area feeling alive and bouncy.  The Wizarding World of Harry Potter was filled with beautiful and authentic window displays, although I do wish some more of the stores would have been open if only as displays.  I would love to have walked through a store selling potions and magical plants!  And I would have loved to walk through Hagrid's Hut!  The castle interior was stunning. There were no lines (BONUS) and running through the queue felt like rushing down the halls on the way to potions class.  The Dragon Challenge is one of my favorite coasters EVER! Especially the red dragon. There is some exhilarating about riding a Chinese Fireball Dragon :)  I love it when the cast called us wizards and witches.  When the cast truly loves their roles, the whole experience is more transportive.  On to food; The Three Broomsticks was very helpful in picking out gluten free food and we just used our best judgments to stay away from rest of our intolerances.  Except for ice cream, Butter Beer, and Pumpkin Juice we ate pretty clean.  I am totally making butter beer and pumpkin juice at home.   
Luna Lovegood's wand chose me.  It is has a tulip shape on the handle and it will make a nice addition to my home.   Dork, I know but get over it.  Harry Potter is so much fun and everybody has a book or show they love a little too much ;)  Many of the rides in the park were 3-D or 4-D type experiences.  I get motion sick from them but they are always entertaining.  I almost forgot...my favorite purchase of the day, a 100% wool cardigan made in Scotland, with the Gyrffindor colors neatly surrounding the arms and waist.  LOVE IT! In fact, Summerland Key is cold today and I am wearing as I type. Overall it was a perfect day, warm but not hot weather, no lines, and plenty of time to ride everything we wanted twice! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Of course Luna's wand would choose you! Sounds like fun, Mobley family!